As a cat lover, you want to keep your cats’ skin and coats healthy for their overall health. Some cats, however, may not enjoy being exposed to water. They even become aggressive when you try to bathe them. Thus, taking a bath may be stressful and uncomfortable for both, you and your cats. However, a regular grooming routine is essential, especially at a young age so the process you follow to bathe your cat can be enjoyable.
Cats have the behavior of grooming themselves daily. But this act doesn’t remove mats or give them a beautiful smell.
The frequency of bathing a cat may differ greatly. The following article will make it clear to you when you need to bathe your cat.
How Often Do Need to Bathe Your Cat?
– Indoor Vs. Outdoor Cats: Indoor cats don’t need to be bathed regularly unlike outdoor cats that have to be bathed frequently.
– Coats: Coats can be longer or shorter. The first one will require more preservation that the short one.
– Level of Activity: Cats that are energetic need frequent bathing.
– Health Issues: Health problems such as irritation, and loss of stool need more bathing and more attention.
– Self-Grooming Behavior: In order not to have an itchy, flaky and greasy coat, cats that can not or don’t groom themselves regularly need perpetual bathing. Moreover, fat cats may find it hard to reach certain places and eras of their body. Therefore, you need to bathe them regularly.
How to Make Bath Time Less Stressful:
- Before having your cats take shower, try first to start with a playing session to calm them down.
- Before bathing your cat, trim its nails so it won’t scratch you.
- You should know that some cats hate closed doors and that the reason your cat is refusing bathing is not related to water, but it’s not feeling comfortable within the bathing environment.
- Prepare everything that you need for the bathing ahead. This includes their shampoo, a measuring cup to pour water, a washcloth, and a towel.
- Don’t let water enter, your cats’ ears. You may consider placing cotton to keep water out.
- Loose hair or mats should not remain. Brushing your cats is a great way to remove them.
- Having a second person to help you clean your cats is a good idea. The first should focus his| or her attention on interacting with the cats. The second one cleans the cat.
- To keep your cats from slipping, you can use a rubber map in the skin or tub.
- Apply the appropriate cat champ and work from head to tail. But try to avoid the face, ears, and eyes.
- Make sure that all soap has been removed.
- The washcloth is better if you want to wrap your pets’ faces with water.
- Dry your cats by using a large towel. You can also use a hairdryer, on its lowest settings.
- Show a positive reaction to your cats and reward them for a successful bath.
On the other hand, you can follow some steps to help you reduce the specific time your cats need an actual bath. They are the following:
– Brush Your Cats
The best technique to keep your cats clean is to brush them regularly. In general, healthy cats can clean and groom themselves naturally. But if something had coated the fur and can not be easily removed, taking a bath is necessary. Our cats can keep themselves clean, but we can help them by brushing as well. This will make them clean and comfortable.
– Clean When Necessary
If your cats get dirty in a way that brushing is not enough, you can bathe only the dirty area, not the whole body. You may find some cats that enjoy being around water. But the majority hate it. The reason behind this is that when their coats are wet, they become heavier. Therefore, washing the area that needs attention will reduce the discomfort that your cat may feel and aids you in not bathing them each time they come home with dirty paws.
– Choose the Right Shampoo When You Bathe Your Cat:
Before even thinking of bathing your cats, you must buy the right shampoo that is made only and especially for cats. Don’t use the ones made for humans or animals as they may be toxic to your cats. Cat-safe options are available in most pet stores. Those options are clearly stated on the packaging that is feline-friendly. Also, you can ask your veterinarian for a specific shampoo or cleaning method if your cats are suffering from a particular health issue.
Cats are independent creatures. They don’t need their owners to bathe and clean them. They do it daily by themselves. However, you can follow the above techniques and ideas to make your cats cleaner with a beautiful and catchy smell.
Our cats are members of our family, our best friends. So taking care of them is a must if you want to preserve their lives. Don’t bathe them until they have all the things they need, and what was made especially for them.